This prize winning chili recipe is 25 years old! LaVerne Harris won a chili cookoff in 1978 with her beef and pork chili.
Two tablespoons kidney suet Or lard?? Remember this was 25 years ago. I recommend using Crisco Oil. The Crisco link is below. Crisco makes lots of products and you can join their community to post to message boards, collect recipes, etc. Also, you can use any good chili powder if you can't find hot New Mexico chili powder or Gebhardt's chili powder.
You may be able to find New Mexico chili powder in the ethnic food section of your supermarket. Although I have seen many recipes calling for Gebhardt's chili powder I have not found it in my area. If anyone is familiar Gebhardt's please let us know.
Nevada Annie's Beef And Pork Chili
2 Onions, Medium Chopped
1/2 ts Chili Powder, Hot New Mexico
6 Garlic Cloves
1/2 oz Cumin
2 tb Kidney Suet Or Lard
1/2 ts Coriander (Optional)
1/2 cup Oregano tea*
2 oz Gebhardt's Chili Powder
6 oz Tomato Sauce
1/2 oz Regular Dark Chili Powder
3 lb Beef Cubed Or Coarse Ground
1/2 oz Salt
1 c Beef Broth
1/4 ts Pepper, Cayenne (If Needed)
3 oz Pork Sausage Bulk
1 ds Tabasco Sauce
Green Chili, Medium Minced
* 1 T Oregano steeped in hot Water 30 min.
1. Saute Onions and Garlic, Minced in suet about 3 minutes.
2. Add Gebhardt's and regular Chili powder. Mix well.
3. Brown Beef in another pan, a pound at a time, adding white Pepper while browning.
4. Add meat to Onions and spices, using a little broth to keep from sticking.
5. Saute sausage and Green Chili Pepper together 2 minutes.
6. Add to the pot along with meat and Onions. Cook 15 minutes.
7. Add New Mexico Chili powder, Cumin, Coriander, Tomato Sauce and remaining broth. Mix well and cook for 30 minutes.
8. Cover and cook over low heat about 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
9. Add Oregano tea*
10. During the last 20 or 30 minutes add Salt, Pepper, Cayenne and Tabasco, if needed.
Extras to complete the meal:
Make a pot of white rice, corn muffins from a mix, add a green salad and you have a meal that begs to have friends come in and join you. Iced tea would be perfect with this meal.