Exercising and limiting calories and still not losing the pounds? Feeling frustrated that the scale won't budge? These simple lifestyle changes just might be the answer to your problems.
1. Restrict or limit inflammatory foods. The biggest triggers are wheat, gluten, dairy, grains, and sugar. This may sound like the bulk of your diet, so try taking things out one at a time. You do not want to overwhelm yourself and feel discouraged. Those inflammatory foods cause fluid retention and weight gain. It is amazing to see the difference. Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist, wrote a book called "Wheat Belly" and it explains how wheat has changed since ancient times and how it wrecking our health. A popular and healing diet is paleo. A paleo type program is called "Whole 30". The basic idea is that you eat mostly vegetables and good quality protein. Check out the sources and try eliminating one inflammatory food and see where you are in one week.
2. Don't go for the fat-free foods thinking restricting fat will result in losing weight. Generally, when a food is labeled "fat-free" it is loaded with sugar and chemicals to give it a good taste. You don't want to trade the fat for sugar and chemicals, it will cause inflammation. Sugar and chemicals will actually result in gaining weight. Good fats from coconuts, avocados, and fish are actually good for your body and brain, don't limit them.
3. Drink enough water! If your body isn't getting enough water, it will retain it. Take your weight and divide that in half and drink that number in ounces each day. Adding a little lemon can have a cleansing effect as well. Some people find it helpful to carry around a water bottle with them so they can make sure they consume enough water. Ditch the soft drinks and fancy drinks from coffee shops; they will not hydrate you and they will pack on the pounds.
4. Exercise in a way that you enjoy! Don't force yourself to do an exercise that you hate and don't look forward to. What brings you joy? Do you like team sports? Do you enjoy solitary exercise? Do you need the structure of a class? Explore what you think you would stick to. Make it habit and do it the same time each day, like an appointment.
5. Stress relief. Clear your mind and soul each and every day. Stress can create an inflammatory response which can lead to elevated hormone levels and weight gain. What can you do to relieve stress? Also, schedule this in daily. Meditation, yoga, massage, reiki, craniosacral therapy, taking a walk, being in nature, journaling, or talking with a friend are all great ideas. What speaks to you?
Losing weight can be stressful and arduous. Incorporate these tips into your daily life. Not only will you lose some weight, you will feel better. Finding more joy in life is really what it's all about!