Fried Green tomatoes are especially good with fried fish, BBQ chicken or BBQ ribs.
6 Green Tomatoes
1/2 cup Cornmeal
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Garlic, Granulated
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper, Black
1 ea Egg, Large
2/3 cup Milk
Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
1. Mix cornmeal, flour, granulated garlic, salt & pepper together well.
2. Beat the egg and add milk making an egg wash.
3. Slice tomatoes crosswise 1/4" to 3/8" thick.
4. In a large skillet cover the bottom with olive oil to about a 1/4" deep and bring to a medium heat.
5. Dredge the tomato slices in the cornmeal and flour and place them into the egg wash then back into the cornmeal and flour.
6. Place breaded tomatoes into the hot oil carefully and cook until golden brown but still a little firm.
From: Twin Cities Dining Guide.
Vanette (Vannie) Ryanes is CEO of Spices Plus E-Zine for Women and Independent Watkins Associate
"Who says you can't have it all?"
September 6, 2003