Valentine’s Day is not usually a day you connect with celebrating on your own, but a day when couples get together to celebrate their love for each other. However, there are many people who are alone on this auspicious day for all sorts of reasons. You may be single, you may have lost your partner, your spouse may be working elsewhere, etc.
Valentine's Day is also a great day to celebrate friendship, especially as the love between friends has been shown to be one of the strongest bonds between two people. In fact there are several countries where Valentine cards and gifts are exchanged, not just between couples, but also between friends.
So whatever your reason is for being alone on Valentine’s Day, this self development article gives you some ideas of how to celebrate it on your own:
Valentine’s Day – Some ways to celebrate on your own
* Arrange to meet up with people who love you, e.g., family, friends, etc.
* Attend a party that has already been organised for people on their own.
* Treat yourself to a day of pampering and have the ‘body treatment’ or workout that you have always wanted.
* Make Valentine’s Day the day that you started something new such as a different hobby, a new evening class, etc.
* Organise a Valentine’s Day party inviting other people who are on their own. You could all stay in or have a night out dining, bowling, going to the cinema/theatre, etc.
* Organise a pampering party. This could be at your home or at the ‘pamper site’ like a spa.
* Take a trip that day that you have always wanted to try, e.g., a helicopter or hot air balloon flight over where you live.
* Buy yourself something you have always wanted like a new garment, a pet, some music, etc.
* Run a ‘Secret Valentine’ and swap presents on a night out with friends who are in the same situation.
* Do something special for someone you do not know, e.g., visit a hospital, care home, etc. There are countless people who would love someone to spend just a few minutes of their time with them.
* Volunteer to do something in the community. This could be associated with a senior citizens' organization, pet rescue centre, etc. In spending a little time with people who are not as fortunate as you makes you realise just how lucky you are to have the love that you do have in your life.
Valentine’s Day - Celebrating On Your Own – Summary
Remember that Valentine's Day is not just for couples. It is a day for celebrating your love for whoever you wish, e.g., for relatives (close and extended family), friends, neighbours, colleagues or anyone you feel has made an impact on your life. As mentioned in this self development article, use this day to show them your love or gratitude for the way they touched your life.
For further ideas see:
valentine day (Amazon.com) or valentine day (Amazon.co.uk)
(Disclosure: Dr Madden is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme)
To receive further articles do visit the 'FREE Self Development Newsletter' link below. For my Background, Passions and why I write articles like these, see: BUSINESS of JOY = JOY of BUSINESS