A traditional Greek iced coffee (also known as a frappé) is extremely popular with coffee lovers around the world. This tasty beverage is lovely when served alongside a meal or simply as a daytime treat.
Making a frappé is very easy and you can use your everyday brand of coffee within the recipe. It only takes around 5 minutes to whip up one of these drinks and you can add a variety of different ingredients to give it a personal touch.
Ingredients (serves 2)
2/3 teaspoons of instant coffee (you can use regular or decaf)
1 – 1 ˝ cups of cold water - this ideally should be left to cool in the fridge overnight
1 cup semi skimmed milk (it is possible to use vanilla ice cream as an alternative to milk)
2 teaspoons sugar
1. Place the water, coffee, sugar and milk into a jug and mix well using a hand blender. Alternatively, you could use a cocktail shaker.
2. After blending, make sure the coffee is smooth and frothy.
3. Take two tall glasses and add a few ice cubes – these can be whole or crushed.
4. Pour the desired amount of coffee into the glasses and top with whipped cream, sprinkles and chocolate syrup before serving.
5. Get stuck in.
Greek Iced Coffee
Try this: If you want an alternative to the chocolate syrup then you could always add some grated nutmeg on top of the cream instead.
This coffee is something that everyone can enjoy and it is very refreshing, especially in hotter weather. You will soon realize how simple making your very own traditional Greek frappé is and this is a recipe that can be personalized any way you want.
Greek Frappé Facts
• In 1957, the popular beverage was invented by mistake in Thessaloniki.
• You will find that this iced coffee is widely available, especially as it is often referred to as Greece’s national drink.
• October 7 is a very special event, it is National Frappé Day.