Basic Southern Fried Fish
1. Clean fish and season with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper - to taste. Mix together before seasoning fish.
2. Use peanut or vegetable oil in a iron skillet or heavy pan. Heat to at 350 degrees. Use about 1 to 1 1/2 of oil.
3. Mix 3 parts yellow corn meal to 1 part flour. Coat fish.
4. Carefully Place fish into hot oil. Do not crowd pan.
5. When fish is brown around the edges, it is ready to turn, usually about 5 minutes in hot oil over medium high heat. Turn fish with a large slotted spoon. Fish should be golden brown and crispy.
Vanette (Vannie) Ryanes is CEO of Spices Plus E-Zine for Women and Independent Watkins Associate
"Who says you can't have it all?"
September 6, 2003