I love muffins, but hate how some muffin recipes can be so unhealthy. As I continue to play around with recipes, I used less sugar and butter than this recipe called for and am happy to report that I did not taste the difference. In addition, half of the flour was replaced with ground flaxseed meal.
Ground flaxseed meal has so many great health benefits. The first being it is high in fiber. Fiber helps us feel full longer and helps lower cholesterol. The second benefit is it is high in omega 3 fatty acids. Some of the benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids are it assists with lowering blood pressure, in preventing heart disease, and easing joint pain. It is also low in carbohydrates, beneficial to those who typically follow a low carb diet. You can use flaxseed meal in many different baked goods. Even though I replaced half of the flour with flaxseed meal, typically, you only want to replace 25% of the flour with flaxseed.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
Makes 12 muffins
1/4 cup softened butter
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line a cupcake or muffin pan with cupcake liners to make 12 muffins.
3. In a small mixing bowl combine flaxseed, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl add bananas, butter, sugar, and egg.
5. Beat with an electric mixer until mixed.
6. Beat in the vanilla.
7. Slowly add the flour mixture, beating after each addition.
8. Once flour mixture has been completely combined stir in the chocolate chips.
9. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
10. Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar into each cupcake liner, enough that it is just a thin layer.
11. Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffins.
12. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon and sugar on each muffin.
13. Bake for 20 minutes.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!