A good Fall meal does not get much better than this dish. Tender spicy vegetable pot roast with carrots and lima beans. The added kick of pickling spices and garlic makes it ever so right. After cooking this dish can be served as is or with the beef removed from the pot and sliced and served along side the vegetables. Another idea is to serve this over biscuts, corn bread or serve over rice. Just what the food doctor ordered for a cool fall night.
3 lbs Beef chuck roast
2 tbl Cooking Oil
1 cup Onion [chopped]
½ cup Catsup
2 tsp Pickling Spices
1 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
1 clove Garlic [minced]
1 cup Lima Beans [dry, 8 oz]
5 Carrots [sliced - 1½ cups]
1. In Dutch oven, brown meat in hot oil.
2. Add onion, 1 cup water, catsup, pickling spices (tied in a cloth bag ), salt, pepper, and garlic.
3. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
4. Remove meat; measure liquid and add water to make 3 cups liquid.
5. Add lima beans; place meat on top of beans.
6. Cover and simmer till beans are tender, about 2 hours.
7. Continue to add water during cooking to keep beans covered.
8. Add carrots and cook 30 minutes more.
Makes 7 to 8 servings
Recipe from the LattaPlantation.org