I had these delicious toffeed bananas with my first Asian meal. The bananas were served at room temperature. They were a mouth watering golden caramel color and coated with sesame seeds.
4 large bananas
2 oz. plain flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
6 oz. granulated sugar
oil for frying
1 medium egg white
1 medium egg
4 tablespoons milk
1. Whisk the egg white in a small bowl.
2. Whisk together the egg, flour and milk in a separate bowl, then fold in the egg white.
3. Slice the bananas into 4 chunks, then dip, 4 at a time in the batter.
4. Cook in oil that has heated in a deep fat fryer to a temperature of 375F, 190C for a few minutes or until they turn golden.
5. Drain on kitchen paper and repeat the process until all the bananas are cooked.
5. Arrange the cooked bananas on a baking sheet covered with foil and lightly oiled.
6. Heat the sugar together with 6 tablespoons of water in a heavy-based pan
7. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then boil quickly to make a golden coloured caramel. When it begins to change colour add the sesame seeds.
8. Cool the pan quickly by immersing it in cold water.
9. Drizzle the syrup over the bananas then leave for a few minutes to allow the caramel to harden a little.
10. Remove bananas from the baking tray, and serve*.
Serves 4 or 5
Recipe from Hookerycookery.com
*My bananas were served with a sprinkling of powdered sugar which made a beautiful presentation.