Here's a basic Italian recipe that you can use for many dishes! The basic pesto sauce is a classic sauce used in much of Italian cooking.
For years many Italians felt strongly that this sauce should be made by hand, with a pestle and mortar. If you use a food processor you will get the same results. The sauce is served with different types of pasta, as a flavoring for soups, and on a fresh Mozzarella and tomato salad.
Basic Pesto Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large bunch Basil leaves (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- fresh ground, black pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
- Mince the basil leaves.
- Blend garlic, basil, and 1/2 cup olive oil, and cheese in a food processor or blender. Use low speed and stop often to stir.
- Gently blend in remainder of olive oil and the pine nuts.
- Let sit for an hour before using.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
Cuisinart DLC-10S 7-Cup Pro Classic Food Processor
Professional power and versatility are at your fingertips, thanks to the experts at Cuisinart. The handy Pro Classic Food Processor slices whole fruits and vegetables, kneads bread dough and minces garlic with amazing ease. The 7-cup work bowl is heat-resistant, cold-resistant and shatterproof. Features regular and extra-large feed tubes, stainless steel medium (4 mm) slicing disc and shredding disc. Also includes chopping and dough blades. Exclusive how-to video offers tips and techniques. Easy to clean, with dishwasher-safe parts.