Need a tasty drink for a crowd? Hot Mulled Gingered Cider may be just what you are looking for. This drink is often served at holiday parties, but it is good anytime there is a chill in the air. This hot cider is has no alcohol so everyone can enjoy this robust apple drink, of course adults who imbibe may want to add just a touch of rum while this mulled cider is hot or cooled down in a tall glass, ice cubes added.
What do you serve this in? You can serve from the pot or you can take time to find that punch bowl with the matching cups that you received as a wedding gift, used once (maybe) then put away.
13-6 ounce cups apple cider*
2-12 ounce cans of Ginger Ale
15 to 20 whole cloves
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 cinnamon stick, broken into small pieces
2 teaspoon allspice
Candied Ginger slices broken into small pieces to be placed in each cup when serving (optional)
1. Put whole cloves and cinnamon stick pieces in a piece of cheesecloth. Tie the cheesecloth to make a purse or pouch.
2. Pour apple cider and Ginger Ale into a large heavy pot with lid, then place filled pouch in apple cider and Ginger Ale mixture.
3. Heat mix on low until mixture starts to simmer. You will see little bubbles around edge of the pot.
4. Remove pot from heat and cover. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Flavors will marry.
5. Remove flavor pouch and serve hot with a fresh cinnamon stick.
This mixture Makes 20 to 25 servings.
Thinking ahead, if you plan to have friends over to help you trim your Christmas tree serve hot mulled gingered cider to get everyone in a tree trimming mood.
Recommended cook book This one is simply called Apple Cookbook. It is available from Amazon, but check you library first. You may already have a cook book with a couple of apple recipes and that's all you want. But if you are a cook book collector, this one will interest you. You will find good home style apple recipes here.
*78 ounces, two and 1/2 quarts, minus 2 ounces
If you have any of the hot mulled gingered cider, refrigerate. This is excellent ice cold.