There are many different versions of black bean sauce, as well as different bean sauces in general, such as brown bean sauces and sweet bean sauces. There are also bean pastes and fermented beans. Most of these are interchangeable in the same amounts. For instance, I used 4 teaspoons of black bean paste in the recipe below. If you are unable to find bean paste, simply use 4 teaspoons of any black bean sauce and the dish will be just as delicious! A black bean and garlic sauce works well in this recipe as well. So take a trip to your local grocery store, see what types of bean sauces they offer. Experiment and Enjoy!
1 lb lean beef
16oz pkg frozen stir fry vegetables
¼ tsp meat tenderizer
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp sherry
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp soy
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
4 tsp black bean paste
½ tsp chopped jarred garlic
2 tsp sugar
½ cup chicken broth
2 tsp cornstarch
- Remove all the fat from the beef and cut it across the grain into thin 1 ½ inch slices. Place the slices in a container with a tight fitting lid and add the marinade in the following steps.
- First add the meat tenderizer by sprinkling it sparsely so that it hits each piece of meat. Then sprinkle on the salt and sugar in the same manner. Next add the sherry and stir.
- Then sprinkle on the cornstarch coating each piece and gently stirring it in.
- Finally add the oil and stir to coat all of the meat. Let it marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the beef is marinating, microwave the vegetables on high for about 5 minutes, or just until warm.
- Cook the meat by bringing a pot of water with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of peanut oil to boil.
- Once the water boils, add the meat and let it cook for just 1 minute. Then remove it and set it aside.
- In a non stick pot or wok, heat the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil on high. Add the garlic and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the beef and soy and stir fry for another minute.
- Then add the vegetables, vinegar, sugar, and bean paste and stir fry for 2 minutes making sure to mix the bean paste in thoroughly.
- Next add the chicken broth and bring everything to a boil. Mix together the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and add it to the pot, stirring until thick.
- This dish is wonderful with white rice! Makes 2 generous servings.