To watch a video for these instructions click here
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8oz can sliced water chestnuts
1 package of center cut bacon
¼ cup soy
2 tbsp sherry
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp jarred pre-chopped garlic
½ tsp ground ginger
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and cut each breast into small ½ to ¾ inch pieces and then set them aside.
- Take the slices of bacon and cut them in half. The center cut bacon works best for this recipe because it has less fat than the other cuts of bacon. After cutting them in half, set them aside.
- Open and drain the can of water chestnuts and set them aside.
- Next you want to set up a work area where you can assemble the rumaki. Have the chicken, bacon, water chestnuts and toothpicks at arms length. Place a plate in front of you on which you can put the rumaki together. You will also need a large container with a tight fitting lid in which you will place the rumaki to be marinated.
- Begin assembling the rumaki. Take a piece of the cut bacon and lay it out on the plate. Place a water chestnut in the center and a piece of chicken on top of the water chestnut. Wrap up the sides of the bacon around the chicken and chestnut, and secure with a toothpick. Then place the rumaki in the marinating container.
- Once all of the rumaki have been assembled and placed into the container, take a separate bowl or cup and mix together the soy, sherry, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. Stir thoroughly, and then slowly pour the mixture over the rumaki, making sure to hit each piece. Gently toss the rumaki to coat.
- Marinate for an hour.
- Completely drain the marinade from the rumaki and place the rumaki on a non-stick baking sheet. Broil the rumaki about 5 inches from the broiler on high for about 10 minutes, turning every so often. You want the bacon to be brown and crisp, and the chicken to be cooked through. Check a piece after the bacon has browned by opening it up and testing the chicken. If the chicken is cooked through, then they are done.
- Makes about 35.