To watch a video for these instructions click here
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large green onion
8oz pkg sliced white button mushrooms
6oz pkg frozen snow peas
8oz can sliced bamboo
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp stir fry oil
¼ tsp garlic salt
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp peanut oil
½ cup chicken broth
1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and cut it into thin 1 ½ inch slices. Place these slices in a bowl to be marinated.
- The marinade works best when applied in the following steps. First sprinkle on the garlic salt, then add the sherry and use your hand to mix everything through.
- Next add the egg white and use your hand again to gently stir to coat each piece. Be careful not to “froth” the egg, it will make the chicken hard when it is cooked.
- Next, slowly add in the cornstarch a little bit at a time and use your hand to mix it in thoroughly. Then add the oil, stir, and let it marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the other vegetables. First rinse the green onion under cold water and dry it with paper towels. Cut off the base and about 1 inch off of the green tops. Then slice it into thin slices and set them aside.
- Next rinse the mushrooms under cold running water, and gently rub them with your hands to remove any excess dirt. Then lay them on out on a paper towel and use another paper towel to blot them dry. Let them sit to dry thoroughly.
- Place the snow peas in a microwave safe bowl and cover them with hot water. Microwave them on high for 3 minutes. This is comparable to par boiling the snow peas. Once they are cooked, drain them in a colander and set them aside.
- Open and drain the can of bamboo and set it aside.
- In a large cup, mix together the ingredients for the sauce and then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup prepare the thickener for the sauce. Mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves and then set it aside.
- Once the chicken has marinates, bring a pot of water with just one tablespoon of the peanut oil to boil. When it boils carefully add the chicken and stir and let it cook for just 1 minute. This process is called velveting. The marinade and the boiling create a protective coating around the chicken so that it comes out tender, smooth, and velvety!
- Then using a slotted spoon slowly scoop out the chicken making sure to drain all of the water. Place the chicken on a plate and set it aside.
- In a non stick pot or wok, heat the stir fry oil on high. When the oil it hot add the mushrooms and sprinkle them with the garlic salt. Stir fry them for 2 minutes. Keep in mind that the mushrooms should just be soft and opaque and not browned in this dish.
- After 2 minutes add the chicken, green onion, snow peas, and the bamboo. Stir fry everything for 1 minute.
- After a minute add the sauce and let it come to a boil.
- Once it boils add the cornstarch and stir until the sauce thickens. Then remove it from the heat and serve. This is best served with steamed white or Jasmine rice. Makes 3 servings.