To see a video of these instructions click here.
6.75 oz rice stick noodles (mai fun)
˝ lb pre cleaned, pre cooked frozen shrimp
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb)
1 lb bag frozen peppers and onions (Birds Eye pepper stir fry)
5 tbsp peanut oil
˝ tsp garlic salt
1 tbsp shao hsing wine
˝ tsp sugar
1/8 tsp garlic salt
Sauce – Make 2 Separate Batches (the amounts below make just 1 batch)
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp curry
˝ tbsp hot chili (Sriracha) sauce
- Place the rice stick noodles in a bowl of warm water, making sure that they are completely covered. Let them soak for about 15 minutes, or until “al dente.”
- Run cool water over the shrimp and then let them soak in the water for about 20 minutes, or until defrosted.
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then cut each breast into one inch pieces. Place the chicken pieces in a bowl to be marinated.
- Next add the marinade in the following steps. First sprinkle in the garlic salt using your hands to mix it in thoroughly. Then add the shao hsing wine and again mix it in thoroughly with your hands. Let it marinate for 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Place the frozen peppers and onions in a microwave safe bowl and microwave them on high for about 5 minutes, or just until cooked through. Then set them aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Then in another large cup repeat this process so that you have 2 cups of the same sauce. This sauce is actually a paste once it’s mixed. One of the batches will be used in the cooking process, and the other will be mixed in right before serving. Set these sauce mixtures aside.
- Check to see if the shrimp have defrosted. Once they defrost, drain them in a colander and then remove the tails. Place the shrimp in a bowl to be marinated. Sprinkle in the sugar and garlic salt and using your hands mix it in thoroughly. Then set the shrimp aside.
- Check the noodles to see if they are “al dente.” Once they’re done, drain them in a colander. Then return them to the bowl and toss them with just one of the tablespoons of peanut oil. Set them aside.
- Heat a non stick wok or pot on high. Once the wok is hot, add one tablespoon of peanut oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and let it cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Once the chicken pieces have browned, remove them from the wok and set them aside.
- Then without wiping out the wok, add the remaining 3 tablespoons of peanut oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the noodles and stir them until they are heated through. This may be difficult at first, and if necessary, you can cut the noodles to stir them more easily.
- Once the noodles are hot, add just one of the batches of sauce. Toss the noodles until they are thoroughly coated with the sauce. This again may be difficult. You can use two utensils to toss them, or cut them if necessary.
- When they are thoroughly coated with the sauce, add in the shrimp and the peppers and onions. Toss them with the noodles until they are heated through.
- Return the chicken to the wok and stir until everything is mixed together. Then remove the wok from the heat.
- Before serving, add the second batch of sauce to the noodles and mix it in thoroughly. Then serve immediately. Makes 3 servings.