To watch a video for these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
10 dried woodear mushrooms
2oz ham or hard salami
5 six-by-six inch square pieces of foil
3 tbsp sesame oil
2 to 3 sprigs of fresh parsley
2 to 3 cups peanut oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp shao hsing wine
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and cut each breast into 1 ½ to 2 inch pieces and then place them in a bowl to be marinated.
- Add all of the marinade ingredients to the chicken pieces and using your hand, mix everything together thoroughly. Let the chicken marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl of hot water, soak the mushrooms for about 25 minutes or until they expand completely.
- Remove any casings if using salami, and then chop the ham or salami into small ¼ inch pieces and set them aside.
- Check the mushrooms. Once they’ve expanded, cut them into 1 inch pieces and then set them aside.
- Prepare to wrap the packages. Lay out one piece of the foil, and then using a basting brush, lightly brush the surface with the sesame oil, leaving about an inch or so border all the way around.
- Next, take a few of the leaves of the fresh parsley and lay it on the foil.
- On top of the parsley place a few pieces of mushroom and ham, or salami.
- Then on top of that, place about 3 pieces of the marinated chicken.
- Finally wrap the package by bring 2 sides of the foil together and folding them together at the top. Then fold in each side, making sure that it is wrapped tightly.
- Continue wrapping the remaining packages.
- Once all of the packages are wrapped, add the peanut oil to a wok and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot, slowly add 2 of the packages to the oil and let them cook for 2 minutes. These need to be cooked in batches of about 2 at a time so that we don’t overcrowd the wok.
- After 2 minutes, flip the packages over and let them cook another 2 minutes.
- After another 2 minutes, flip them back over so that the seam where you folded the foil is on top. Then using a spatula, press them down to the bottom of the wok and flatten them to release the oil.
- Next, remove them from the oil and tilt them slightly on the side of the wok to drain and then place them on a plate. Continue cooking the remaining packages until all of them are done.
- These packages are great served family style along with fried rice and green beans. Makes 5 packages.