To see a video of these instructions click here.
1 lb frozen raw shrimp (shells and tails intact)
2 large green onions
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 ½ cups chicken broth
¼ cup ketchup
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sherry
½ tsp ground ginger
- Defrost the shrimp by soaking them in cold water for about 20 minutes.
- While the shrimp defrost, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut off the base and about an inch from the green tops of both onions. Dice them into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water so that it dissolves and then set it aside.
- After 20 minutes, check to see if the shrimp have defrosted. Once they are thawed, drain them in a colander and let them dry. We want them to be completely dry before adding them to our wok. If necessary, use a paper towel to dry them completely.
- Heat a non stick wok on high. Then add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot add in the shrimp. Stir fry the shrimp until lightly pink on either side, about 1½ minutes. If using shrimp without the shells, it may take a bit less time to cook.
- Once the shrimp are light pink, add in the sauce and the green onion and bring everything to a boil. If you are using shrimp without the shells on, remove them from the wok and then cook the sauce. Return them to the wok once the sauce thickens. This is so that they don’t overcook.
- When the sauce comes to a boil, add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. These shrimp are delicious served over plain white rice. Makes about 3 servings.