To see a video of these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
½ tsp garlic salt
1 large broccoli crown
4 cloves fresh garlic
½ medium yellow onion
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp peanut oil
½ cup chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp oyster sauce
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken. Then cut it into slices, about ½ inch to an inch wide. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with the garlic salt, using your hand to mix it in thoroughly. Then set them aside.
- Peel the carrots, cut off the ends and discard them. Then cut each carrot on a diagonal into about ¼ thick inch slices. Place the slices in a microwavable safe bowl and set them aside.
- Rinse the broccoli under cold running water. Then cut off the florets and either discard the stalk or save it for a future recipe. Break any large florets into smaller pieces and then place them in the bowl with the carrots.
- Cover the broccoli and carrots with hot water and then microwave them on high for 2 minutes. This is comparable to parboiling them. Once they are done, drain them in a colander and set them aside.
- Peel the garlic, mince it into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Cut the onion into thin strips about an ½ inch to an inch in length and set them aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and then set it aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and then set it aside.
- Heat a non stick wok on high. Once hot, add just 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the chicken and stir fry it until lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Once the chicken browns, remove it from the wok, place it on a plate and set it aside.
- Wipe out the wok and add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and onion and stir fry them for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes, or until they become lightly brown and fragrant.
- Then add in the vegetables and stir fry for one more minute.
- Return the chicken to the wok and add in the sauce. Let the sauce come to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick. Stir to coat the chicken and vegetables with the sauce and then remove it from the heat.
- This is great served with white steamed rice. Makes 3 generous servings.