1 lb cod fillets
12 oz flour
2 tbsp baking powder
3 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
3 cups peanut oil
cornstarch for dusting
7 oz can of pineapple chunks
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cornstarch and salt. Then slowly stir in the egg and water. Stir until thoroughly combined and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Once the dough has sat for 10 minutes, slowly stir in 10 tablespoons of the peanut oil and let the dough sit again at room temperature for another 20 minutes.
- While the dough sits, cut the fish into 3 to 4 inch square pieces and set them aside.
- Begin preparing the sauce by first draining the pineapple reserving ¾ cup of the liquid to add to the sauce. Set both the pineapple and the reserved liquid aside.
- Rinse the scallions under cold water and dry. Cut off the white bottoms and the very top of the green stems and discard. Dice the remaining green stems into tiny pieces.
- Once the dough is ready, heat the remaining peanut oil in a large pot or wok used for deep frying. Set out a plate with just a little cornstarch to lightly dust the fish pieces.
- When the oil is hot enough, cook the fish pieces in an assembly line fashion. First dust a piece of fish with cornstarch, then dip it into the dough making sure that it is thoroughly coated. Immediately place it into the hot oil.
- Once all of the fish is in the oil, slowly turn the pieces over so that they get a very light brown color on all sides. Then remove them with a slotted spoon and let them cool on a paper towle covered plate for about 5 minutes.
- Keep the oil hot so that after the fish has cooled it can be returned to the oil for a second frying. This keeps the fish from over cooking, while allowing the outside to cook to a beautiful golden brown color. Once the pieces have turned a golden brown, remove them once again to the paper towle covered plate and let them sit. Reserve the oil for future use.
- In another large wok or saucepan, mix together the pineapple, pineapple liquid, cornstarch, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Turn the heat on high and bring everything to a boil stirring constantly.
- Once the sauce boils, add the fish pieces and scallions. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes and then serve.
- Serve over white rice. Makes 2 servings.