To watch a video for these instructions click here.
14 whole chicken wings
1 medium egg
peanut oil for frying
sweet chili sauce for serving
6 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup flour
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp or more crushed red pepper
- Rinse off the wings with cold water and then dry them with paper towels. Cut the wings right at the joint so that you have 2 pieces. Then cut off the wing tips and discard them. This will make 28 wings in total.
- Once the wings are cut, place them in a large bowl. Using your hand, thoroughly mix in all of the marinade ingredients. Then let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the coating and then set this mixture aside. If you want more garlic flavor, add ½ tsp or 1 tsp extra of garlic salt. And if you love your wings spicy, simply add another tsp or two of crushed red pepper.
- Once the wings have marinated for 30 minutes, drain them in a colander, thoroughly removing all of the excess marinade. Then return them to the bowl.
- Add the egg to the wings, mixing it in with your hand so that each wing is thoroughly coated.
- Place the wings, a few at a time into the coating mixture, tossing them with your hand to make sure that they are evenly coated. Leave all of the wings in this mixture as you continue to add more and coat them.
- Once all of the wings are thoroughly coated, add 2 to 3 cups of peanut oil to a wok and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot, add the wings directly from the coating mixture, shaking them off and adding them one at a time. Cook about 6 to 7 wings at one time making sure not to overcrowd the wok.
- Cook the wings for about 5 minutes, or until brown.
- Then remove them with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Continue cooking the remaining wings in batches.
- For extra crispy wings, once they are all finished cooking, fry them a second time for just 2 to 3 minutes on high.
- These are great served with a side of sweet chili sauce for dipping. Makes 28 wings.