Try this flavorful dish, that's easy to prepare.
(Spaghetti with Shrimp, Tomatoes, and Capers)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 lb. fresh, ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced into 1/2" pieces
1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano (you can substitute 1/4 tsp dried)
1 1/2 Tbs capers
3/4 lb fresh medium shrimp, peeled, deviened, and cut into 1/2" pieces
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put the olive oil and onion in a large skillet over, over medium heat and cook until the onion has turned golden brown.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes. Cook rapidly until most of the liquid has evaporated, but the tomatoes have not broken down completely.
- While cooking the tomatoes bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, add 1 tbs of salt, and drop in the pasta all at once, stirring until the strands are submerged. If you have a smaller pot, you can use less than 4 quarts of water, but you must constantly stir the spaghetti for one minute.
- Add oregano, capers, and shrimp to the sauce in the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp turn pink (about 2 minutes). Once they are pink remove the skillet from the heat.
- When pasta is cooked al dente, drain it and toss it with the sauce. Serve at once.