This healthy versatile sprout can usually be found canned in the ethnic section of your local grocery store. They can also be found fresh, usually at Oriental grocers. When you purchase fresh sprouts, make sure to select ones that are white and free of blemishes. Then prior to eating or cooking them, rinse them thoroughly under cold running water.
The main difference between the canned sprouts and the fresh sprouts is that the canned are slightly less flavorful than the fresh. There will be less of the delicate sweet flavor. In the recipe below either of these two may be used. The spicy sauce gives this dish most of its flavor. Keep in mind that this sauce is quite spicy. If you want to tone down the spiciness, simply use less hot chili garlic sauce. Try this recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
4 cups canned or fresh bean sprouts
Spicy Bean Sprout Sauce:
3 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp hot chili garlic sauce
1½ tsp sesame oil
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp ginger
- Open and drain the canned bean sprouts. Then place them in a bowl and cover them with cold water. Let them soak in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. If using fresh mung bean sprouts, rinse them thoroughly before soaking them in the cold water.
- While the bean sprouts soak, prepare the sauce. In a large cup, mix together the vinegar and the sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix everything thoroughly together. Set this sauce mixture aside.
- After 20 minutes, remove the bean sprouts from the refrigerator and drain them in a colander. Let them thoroughly drain, and then return them to the bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the bean sprouts and mix it in thoroughly. Using your hands makes it easier to mix everything up together.
- Once the sauce is thoroughly mixed in, place the bean sprout salad in the refrigerator and let it sit for an hour before serving. This lets all of the flavors of the dressing meld together.
- Makes about 4 side servings.