16 oz frozen tiny shrimp
1 head of Napa cabbage
1 can of sliced water chestnuts
2 stalks of celery
2 80z cans of bean sprouts
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
6 egg roll wrappers
Small bowl of water
2 cups of oil to deep fry the egg rolls
- Defrost the shrimp by soaking them in luke warm water for about 10 minutes. Then using a colander, drain them thoroughly and set them aside on paper towels to dry.
- Rinse the cabbage thoroughly and shake it dry. Then using a knife, cut it into thin shreds. Cut enough to make about 2 cups of thin shreds. This should use up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cabbage depending on its size. Save the rest of the head of cabbage for a future recipe and set the shredded cabbage aside.
- Open and drain the water chestnuts. Take the chestnut slices and cut them further into thin strips and set them aside.
- Rinse and dry the celery stalks. Then dice them into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Open and drain the bean sprouts and set them aside.
- In a non stick pot or wok, heat the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on high. Add the shrimp, cabbage, water chestnuts, celery and bean spouts and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, soy sauce and sugar and stir fry for 30 seconds then remove the pan from the heat. Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes, while setting up an area to assemble the egg rolls.
- Once the mixture has cooled, use a slotted spoon and remove the mixture from the pan and place it into another large bowl. Place a few paper towels on top of the mixture and press. This removes the liquid from the mixture. The less liquid in the mixture, the easier it will be to fry the egg rolls.
- To assemble the egg rolls, lay a wrapper out in a diamond shape. Put about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in the middle of the wrapper. Keep in mind that too much filling makes it difficult to roll up the wrapper. Adjust the amount of filling accordingly.
- Roll the wrapper by bringing the top point and folding it over the filling. Then fold in the side points.
- Next, dip your fingers in the bowl of water and wipe the edges of the remaining point so that they are just barley wet. This will create a seal so that the egg roll will stay together. Then roll the egg roll up and place it on a separate plate.
- Continue this process until all of the egg rolls are filled.
- In a large pot, heat the 2 cups of oil to 375 degrees. Then add the egg rolls, just a few at a time depending on the size of your pot. Remember not to overcrowd the pot when deep frying. Cook them until they are golden brown. Then remove them and place them on paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately. Makes 6 egg rolls.