3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.5 lbs)
3 tbsp cornstarch
6 tbsp peanut oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp sherry
1 egg white
4 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup lemon juice
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
¼ tsp ginger
1 tbsp sherry
1 tsp soy sauce
¼ tsp msg
- Prepare the chicken by removing all of the fat from each breast and cutting them into about 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Place these pieces in a large bowl and add the marinating ingredients in the following order. First mix in the salt, garlic salt and sherry, using your hand to make sure to cover each piece. Try to feel when all of the chicken has been coated thoroughly. It may seem strange at first, but once you get used to it, you will want to use your hands all of the time.
- Next add the egg white and with your hand and mix it in well.
- Then slowly add the cornstarch while still mixing with your hands to coat every piece evenly and smoothly. Once the chicken is done, wash your hands and set it aside.
- In a bowl mix together all of the sauce ingredients and set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and set it aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pot or wok on high. Add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and fry it for about 5 minutes. Depending on the size of your wok, you may have to fry the chicken in 2 batches. Remember that you do not want to over crowd the wok.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, meaning all of the pink is gone, remove it and set the pieces aside on a plate covered with paper towels. The paper towels will soak up the excess oil.
- Wipe out the wok, removing any of the cornstarch that may have stuck to the sides or bottom.
- Then reheat the wok on high. Once hot, add the sauce mixture and cook it stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick. Return the chicken to the wok and toss it until all of the pieces are thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Serve with white steamed rice and vegetables. Makes 3 servings.