To watch a video for these instructions click here
1½ lbs ground beef
3 to 4 stalks fresh cilantro
1 tbsp fine ground dried orange peel
1 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp shao hsing wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1½ tbsp cornstarch
- Lightly break up the ground beef and place it into a stand mixer’s mixing bowl and set it aside. For this recipe I will be using a stand mixer. If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can simply use a large bowl.
- Rinse the cilantro under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Cut the leafy part of the stalks into tiny pieces and add them to the ground beef.
- Then to the beef mixture add the fine ground dried orange peel, sugar, pepper, shao hsing wine, sesame oil, and cornstarch.
- Using a flat beater, place the bowl into the stand mixer. Turn it on number 4 (medium) and let it mix for 1 minute. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can use your hands to mix the ingredients together thoroughly. Then knead the mixture pressing it firmly against the sides of the bowl. Do this for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the mixture becomes pasty and firm.
- After a minute in the stand mixer, remove the bowl and use a spatula to scrap down the sides of the bowl. Do the same after 5 to 10 minutes if you are mixing it by hand.
- Next, prepare to make the beef balls. Wash your hands and then run them under cold running water. Make sure they are slightly wet and cold. This will prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands. Pick up about 1½ tablespoons of the meat mixture and using your hands, form it into a ball pressing firmly. Then place the finished ball on a plate. Make sure that this plate is heat proof and fits comfortably in your steamer. Continue forming balls from the remaining meat mixture. Place all of the finished balls on the plate making sure that they do not touch. Use another plate if necessary.
- Once all of the balls are formed. Place the plate into the steamer basket and let them steam for about 10 minutes. Then remove and serve immediately. Makes about 15 to 20 beef balls.