3 dried shiitake mushrooms
1˝ lbs raw shrimp
1 large green onion
˝ tsp soy sauce
1 tsp shao hsing wine
˝ tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
- Soak the mushrooms in a bowl of warm water for 30 to 40 minutes or until they expand.
- While the mushrooms soak, prepare the other ingredients. Peel and then devein the shrimp. The easiest way to devein the shrimp is to make a long cut down the center of the shrimp’s back. This exposes the vein. Then slowly pull the vein removing it from the shrimp.
- Once they are deveined, dry them thoroughly with paper towels.
- Then cut each of the shrimp into tiny pieces. Place these pieces into a stand mixer's mixing bowl and set it aside. For this recipe I will be using a stand mixer. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can simply use a large bowl.
- Next rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Cut off the bottom of the base and about an inch or so off of the top of the greens and discard. Then slice the remaining stalk into tiny pieces. Add these green onion pieces to the shrimp without mixing them in.
- Next check the mushrooms, once they’ve expanded, drain them from the water. Squeeze out any excess water and then dry them thoroughly with paper towels. Once dry, remove the stems and cut the caps into tiny pieces. Add these pieces to the shrimp mixture.
- Then to the shrimp add in the soy sauce, shao hsing wine, and sesame oil. Mix all of these ingredients together thoroughly using your hand.
- Next add the cornstarch, the sugar, and salt. Then using the flat beater, place the bowl into the stand mixer. Turn it on number 4 (medium) and let it mix for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the mixture forms a firm paste. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can use your hands to mix the ingredients together thoroughly. Then knead the mixture for about 10 minutes or until it is firm and paste like.
- Once the mixture forms a paste in the stand mixer, remove the bowl and use a spatula to scrap down the sides of the bowl. Then cover and place the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour.
- After an hour, remove the mixture from the refrigerator and prepare the from the shrimp balls. Take about 3 tablespoons of the mixture and form a ball pressing firmly with your hands. Then place the finished ball on a plate. Make sure that this plate fits comfortably inside your steamer.
- Once all of the fish balls are rolled, heat the water for your steamer on high.
- When the water boils, place the plate inside the steamer and steam the fish balls for 10 minutes. Then serve immediately. Makes about 20 fish balls.