Most recipes for Chicken Fricassee call for using a whole cut-up chicken – pieces that take quite a while to cook through. What follows is a great Shortcut New-Fashioned Chicken Fricassee that uses Master Baking Mix, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, canned condensed soup, and dehydrated vegetables for a stovetop meal that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes, start to finish. While traditional chicken fricassee generally contains chicken in a simple cream gravy, this version calls for dehydrated onions for extra flavor and dehydrated red and green peppers for color. According to some reports, President Lincoln loved his chicken fricassee served over hot, flaky biscuits; this recipe includes dumplings to eliminate the time involved in making biscuits separately.
1/2 cup Master Baking Mix
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 4), halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups milk
1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 tablespoons dehydrated red and green peppers
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
2 cups Master Baking Mix
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
3/4 cup milk
- Place the 1/2 cup baking mix, paprika, pepper, and salt on a plate and mix.
- Dip each of the chicken pieces in the mixture and coat well.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken breasts on all sides; remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the milk, soup, peppers, and onion flakes to the pan; whisk until smooth and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken pieces, turn the heat down to a simmer, and let cook about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the dumpling ingredients; drop onto the simmering mixture. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 676 Calories from Fat 258
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 28% Carb. 34%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 29 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 126 mg
Sodium 1304 mg
Total Carbohydrate 57 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 47 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 13%