3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
¾ lb asparagus
1 ½ tbsp peanut oil
1½ tbsp stir fry oil
1 tsp jarred pre chopped garlic
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sherry
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp shao hsing wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken breasts and cut them into 1 inch cubes. Place these cubes in a container with a tight fitting lid, and add the marinade in the following steps. Start by mixing in the soy sauce and sherry. Then, using your hand, slowly add the cornstarch making sure to coat each piece smoothly. Cover the chicken and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the asparagus under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then take one of the asparagus and slowly bend it until it breaks somewhere near the end of the stalk. This is the point at which the bottom of the stalks should be cut and discarded because they will be too tough for the final dish. Line this asparagus up with the others and cut off all of the stalks at this point. If you prefer, you can also individually break each stalk by hand as well.
- Once all the bottoms of the stalks are discarded, cut each asparagus into 1½ inch pieces on a diagonal, then set these pieces aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch. Then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Once the chicken marinates heat a large non stick pot or wok on high. Then add the peanut oil and swirl it around the wok to coat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and stir fry it for about 5 to 6 minutes or until it is thoroughly cooked and is no longer pink in the center. Then remove it and set it aside.
- Next, wipe out the wok with a paper towel and then return it to the heat and turn it on high. Once hot add the stir fry oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir fry it for about 30 seconds to a minute, or just until fragrant.
- Then add the asparagus and stir fry them for 1½ minutes.
- Next, add the sauce and let it come to a boil.
- Just as the sauce begins to bubble, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce becomes thick.
- Once the sauce thickens, return the chicken to the wok and stir until everything is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Serve immediately with either white or fried rice. Makes 3 servings.