1.5 lbs fresh medium shrimp
2 large stalks of green onion
6 to 8 dried red Thai chili peppers
¼ piece fresh ginger
2 to 3 cups peanut oil
2/3 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 tsp shao hsing wine
1 tsp garlic salt
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the shells and tails from the shrimp and then devein them.
- Place the shrimp in a container with a tight fitting lid and add the marinade in the following order. First add the shao hsing wine and garlic salt using your hand to make sure that each piece is thoroughly coated. Then slowly add in the cornstarch again using your hand until it is evenly distributed. Cover the shrimp and let them marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp marinate, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them with paper towles. Cut off their bases and about a half inch from the top of the green stalks and discard. Then slice the remaining stalks into small pieces and set them aside.
- Chop the chili peppers into small pieces and set them aside.
- Remove the skin from the ginger and dice the remaining ginger into small pieces. Set them aside.
- In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Make sure all of the cornstarch dissolves. Then set this mixture aside.
- Once the shrimp have marinated, in a large non stick pot or wok, heat the peanut oil on high.
- When the oil is hot (350F) add the shrimp and let them cook for 30 seconds to a minute, or just until pink. Then remove them with a slotted spoon or spatula and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. These may have to be cooked in batches depending on the size of your wok.
- After all the shrimp are cooked, remove all of the oil from the wok except for 1 tablespoon. Heat this oil on high.
- Once the oil is hot, add the ginger and chili peppers and stir fry them for about 15 to 20 seconds.
- Then add the green onion and stir fry everything for another 10 seconds.
- Next add the peanuts and the sauce. Mix everything together thoroughly and stir until the sauce starts to thicken. Then return the shrimp to the wok and stir until it is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Serve with either steamed white or fried rice. Makes 3 servings.