1 lb lean beef
2 broccoli crowns
4 cloves fresh garlic
½ medium yellow onion
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp peanut oil
¼ tsp meat tenderizer
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp peanut oil
½ cup chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp oyster sauce
- Remove all the fat from the beef and cut it across the grain into thin 1½ inch slices.
- Place the beef slices in a container with a tight fitting lid and add the marinade in the following steps. First add the meat tenderizer by sprinkling it sparsely so that it hits each piece of meat. Next add the soy and stir. Then sprinkle on the cornstarch coating each piece. Finally add the oil and stir to coat all of the meat.
- Let the meat marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the beef marinates, prepare the other ingredients. Peel the carrot, cut off the ends and discard them. Then cut it into thin 1 inch match stick pieces. Place these pieces in a microwavable safe bowl and set them aside.
- Rinse the broccoli under cold running water. Then cut off the florets of each broccoli crown and either discard the stalks or save them for a future recipe. Break any large florets into smaller pieces and then place them in the bowl with the carrots.
- Cover the broccoli and carrots with hot water and then microwave them on high for 2 minutes. This is comparable to parboiling them. Once they are done, drain them in a colander and set them aside.
- Peel the garlic, mince it into tiny pieces and set these pieces aside.
- Cut the onion into thin strips about an ½ inch to an inch in length and set them aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and then set it aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and then set it aside.
- Once the meat has marinated, velvet it by bringing a pot of water with the salt and just 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil to boil.
- When the water boils, add the meat and let it cook for 1 minute. Then remove it with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Once the beef is cooked add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil to a wok and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and onion and stir fry them for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes, or until they become lightly brown and fragrant.
- Then add in the broccoli and carrots and stir fry for one more minute.
- Add the cooked beef and the sauce. Let the sauce come to a boil.
- Once it starts to come to a boil, add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick. Stir to coat everything evenly with the sauce and then remove it from the heat.
- This is great served with white steamed rice. Makes 3 generous servings.