To watch a video for these instructions click here
4 oz sliced white button mushrooms
1 cup baby carrots
1 head broccoli
½ yellow bell pepper
½ red bell pepper
- First prepare all of the vegetables by both cleaning them and cutting them into equal sized pieces. Feel free to use any variety of vegetables that you might enjoy.
- Lightly wipe the mushrooms with a paper towel to remove any excess dirt and then set them aside.
- Rinse the carrots in a colander under cold running water and then set them aside to dry.
- Rinse the broccoli under cold running water. Then cut off the florets and either discard the stalk or save it for a future recipe. Break any large florets into smaller pieces and then set them aside.
- Remove the stems, all of the seeds and inner white meat from both halves of the bell peppers. Rinse them under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut each pepper half into 1 inch pieces and set them aside.
- To cook the vegetables I prefer to use a double tiered aluminum steamer, but any type of steamer will work for this recipe. First, bring about 4 cups of water in either the bottom of a steamer or a pot or wok (depending on the type of steamer used) to a boil. The amount of water may need to be adjusted depending on the type of steamer as well. The key is to make sure that there is enough water to steam the food for the length of time; and that the water level does not touch the food when it boils.
- While the water heats, place the vegetables in a single layer on each steamer tray. These may have to be cooked in batches depending on the size and type of the steamer.
- When the water boils, place the steamer tray or trays on top and then cover. Turn the heat down to medium, making sure that the water continues to boil. Let the vegetables steam for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, carefully remove the lid and the steamer trays. Place the vegetables in a bowl to be served. These can be served plain, with a sauce on the side, or tossed with a sauce. Makes 3 to 4 servings.