If time is short, browning isn’t absolutely necessary, however, it makes the finished dish look much prettier. If you’re lucky enough to own a 3-in-1 cooker (steams, pressure cooks, slow cooks), the chicken can be browned right in the pot before setting the slow cook time; that eliminates the need to wash a dish and keeps the browned bits in the slow cooker adding to the flavor of the juices.
There are as many variations to this chicken dish as there are cooks, so using favorite spices, rubs, or herbs on the chicken is absolutely recommended. Purists can always stick with salt and pepper, and the dinner will still be delicious.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 to 5 pounds whole chickens, washed and patted dry
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound small red potatoes, halved
1 pound carrots, pared and cut into chunks
1 large onion, quartered and sliced
1/2 cup cold water
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or the 3-in-1; place the chicken in the oil, breast side down, and brown thoroughly.
- Transfer the browned chicken to the slow cooker (or turn it breast side up in the 3-in-1).
- Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over the chicken.
- Arrange the potatoes, carrots, and onions around the chicken; sprinkle a little salt and pepper over them.
- Cover and cook on low 3-5 hours or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter; surround it with the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the parsley over all.
- Cover with foil and keep warm.
- Pour the juices in the slow cooker through a fine sieve into a saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat to boiling.
- Mix the water and flour until smooth; whisk into the juices.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve over the potatoes and chicken.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 512 Calories from Fat 221
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 43% Protein 38% Carb. 19%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 182 mg
Sodium 161 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 48 g
Vitamin A 342% Vitamin C 30% Calcium 0% Iron 22%