- Obtain colorful plastic eggs.
- Print out the text below. Cut out each section either marked READ or ACT OUT.
- Roll up each section and insert it into a plastic egg along with a piece of candy. Label the outside of the egg with the number of corresponding to the strip of paper. We used stickers to label the egg but a magic marker can also be used.
- Hide all the eggs. Allow the children to find the eggs making sure that everyone understands that they may not open them. Be sure that all the eggs are located.
- Those with several eggs should give one egg to an adult. Now, each child and each adult should have at least one egg. Inform the participants that each egg contains either something to read to the group or an action to perform.
- Designate an area to be the tomb. A fireplace works well.
- Depending on the number and ages of players, you may use actual Bible verses and more verses and actions.
- Begin: The person with egg number 1, opens it and reads the paper inside. We arranged for an adult to get egg number one and get the game moving. Ask them to read clearly and with enthusiasm. As soon as number 1 is read ask that egg number 2 be opened. This will be a action egg. Whoever has it will act out the note.
Going through the resurrection story, the children as well as the adults may hear the story for the first time or are reminded of what they may have learned at one time. The game encourages questions and discussion.
- READ: Early in the morning, on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to the tomb. Suddenly the earth reeled and rocked under their feet as God's angel came down from heaven. He came right up to where they were standing. He rolled back the huge stone that closed off the tomb and then sat on it. It looked like lightening was coming from him and his clothes were snow-white. The guards at the tomb were scared to death. They were so frightened, they couldn't move.
- ACT OUT: Go to the designated tomb. Say and act out - Eek! It’s an earthquake! Eek! There’s an angel!
- READ: The angel spoke to the women: "There is nothing to be afraid of. I know you're looking for Jesus, the One they nailed to the cross. He is not here. He was raised to life, just as He said. Come and look at the place where he was placed.
- ACT OUT: Look into the tomb and be very surprised that it is empty.
- READ: Now, get on your way quickly and tell his disciples, “He is risen from the dead. He is going on ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him there.” The women, deep in wonder and full of joy, lost no time in leaving the tomb. They ran to tell the disciples.
- ACT OUT: Run, full of joy, across the living room and stop quickly.
- READ: Then Jesus met them, stopping them in their tracks. "Good morning!" he said. They fell to their knees. Jesus said, “Don't be frightened like that. Go tell my disciples that they are to go to Galilee, and that I'll meet them there."
So the women ran to tell the disciples.
- ACT OUT: Run down the hallway and back yelling “He’s alive! He‘s alive!”
- READ: When they got to the disciples, they told them everything. But the disciples did not believe them. Peter and John got up and ran to the tomb. They saw that it was empty and the strips of linen were lying by themselves. They went away, wondering.
- ACT OUT: Run to the tomb, look in and walk away scratching your head.
- READ: While all the disciples were still talking about this, Jesus Himself appeared among them and said, “ Peace be with you. This is what is written; The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in His name to all nations.
- ACT OUT: Hop on one foot with one hand in the air and say “He is risen! He is risen!”
A Walk With the Women of the Bible
EBook by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing
women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and
lessons from their lives.
Now available for Kindle under new title
A Walk With EVE
Also availble in paperback from Cafe Press.
Names of God Ebook
Almighty God. The Creator of heaven and earth.
Our God is given names in Scripture that
describe the characteristics of His personality.
Experience God through the names given Him in Scripture.