1/2 cup Converted Rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 cups milk
1/3 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 egg yolks
- Place the rice and salt in a large saucepan.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the orange peel from the orange in large strips, being careful to avoid any of the white pith; add it to the rice.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice into a measuring cup.
- Add water to make 1 cup.
- Pour the orange water mixture over the rice, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture boils, turn to low, cover, and let cook until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the orange peel and discard.
- Stir in the sugar, milk, and almonds; bring the mixture to a boil, turn down to the lowest setting, and let cook until most of the milk has been absorbed.
- Stir occasionally, and more often as the mixture thickens to avoid scorching. The finished mixture will have a creamy appearance.
- Stir in the almond flavoring.
- Beat the egg yolks and add a spoonful of the rice mixture to warm.
- Add several more spoonfuls of the rice mixture, stirring to mix, then add the warmed egg mixture to the rice mixture; pour into a 1 quart bowl or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, cover with plastic wrap, and chill.
- Serve cold.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 372 Calories from Fat 103
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 28% Protein 10% Carb. 62%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 90 mg
Sodium 180 mg
Total Carbohydrate 58 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 33 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 22% Calcium 0% Iron 8%