1 small sweet white onion
1 small green pepper
1 small red pepper
½ head broccoli
2 small carrots
4 oz sliced white button mushrooms
8 oz can pineapple tidbits
1 tbsp peanut oil
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup white sugar
¼ tsp ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp cornstarch
- Cut off the ends of the onion and peel. Then cut it into ½ inch pieces and set them aside.
- Cut both the red and green bell peppers in half. Remove the stems, all of the seeds and inner white meat. Then cut them into ½ inch pieces and place them in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Rinse the broccoli under cold running water. Then cut off the florets and break any large florets into smaller pieces and place them in the bowl with the peppers.
- Cover the broccoli and peppers with hot water and microwave them on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until crisp – tender. Then drain them thoroughly in a colander. This process is comparable to parboiling.
- Peel the carrots and cut off the large ends and discard. Then cut the smaller ends on a diagonal and discard them as well. Continue cutting the carrots on a diagonal into thin slices and then set these slices aside.
- Place the mushrooms in a colander and lightly rinse them under cold running water to remove any excess dirt. Then use paper towels to dry them thoroughly.
- Open and drain the can of pineapple tidbits and set it aside.
- Prepare the sauce by stirring together all of the ingredients except for the cornstarch in a small non stick pot. Cook the sauce on high, stirring constantly until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- In a small cup, mix together the cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves.
- While stirring continuously, bring the sauce to a boil. Once it boils, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens. Remove the pot from the heat and set this sauce aside.
- Next heat the oil in a wok on high. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and carrots. Stir fry them for 2 minutes, or just until crisp-tender.
- Then add the mushrooms and stir fry for just 1 minute more.
- Add the broccoli, peppers, pineapple tidbits, and sauce and stir until everything is mixed together and evenly coated with the sauce. Remove from the heat and serve.
- This is wonderful on top of steamed white rice. Makes 3 to 4 servings.