1 lb fresh large shrimp
1 small red bell pepper
1 small green bell pepper
1 large carrot
8 oz can pineapple tidbits
2 to 3 cups peanut oil
1 tsp shao hsing wine
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup white sugar
¼ tsp ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the shells and tails from the shrimp and then devein them.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and add the marinade in the following steps. First add the shao hsing wine and the salt using your hand to make sure that each piece is thoroughly coated. Then slowly add in the cornstarch again using your hand until it is evenly distributed. Let the shrimp marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp marinate, prepare the other ingredients. Cut both the red and green bell peppers in half. Remove the stems, all of the seeds and inner white meat. Then cut them into ½ inch pieces and place them in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Peel the carrot and cut off the large end and discard. Then cut the smaller end on a diagonal and discard it as well. Continue cutting on a diagonal into thin slices and then place these slices in the bowl with the peppers.
- Cover the peppers and carrots with hot water and microwave them on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until crisp – tender. Then drain them thoroughly in a colander. This process is comparable to parboiling.
- Open and drain the can of pineapple tidbits and set it aside.
- Prepare the sauce by stirring together all of the ingredients except for the cornstarch in a small non stick pot. Cook the sauce on high, stirring constantly until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- In a small cup, mix together the cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves.
- While stirring continuously, bring the sauce to a boil. When it starts to come to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens. Remove the pot from the heat and set this sauce aside.
- Once the shrimp have marinated, add the peanut oil to a wok and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot (350F) add the shrimp and let them cook for 30 seconds to a minute, or just until they turn pink. Then remove them with a slotted spoon or spatula and place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Remove all of the oil from the wok except for 1 tablespoon and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot, add the peppers, carrots, pineapple tidbits, and the sauce. Stir until everything is heated through, 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the shrimp and stir until everything is evenly coated with the sauce. Then remove it from the heat and serve. This is wonderful on top of steamed white rice. Makes 3 to 4 servings.