3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
8oz snow peas
2 cups peanut oil
1 tbsp stir fry oil
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp oil
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp shao hsing wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then cut each breast into thin 1 inch wide slices and place them in a container that has a tight fitting lid.
- Next, apply the marinade in the following order. First sprinkle in the salt. Mix it in with your hand to make sure that each piece gets evenly coated. Then stir in the sherry.
- Next add the egg white slowly using your hand to gently coat each piece of chicken while making sure not to froth the egg.
- Then sprinkle in the cornstarch coating each piece.
- Finally, add the oil and stir to coat. Let the meat marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the snow peas. Snap off the ends and pull down to remove any strings. Then rinse them thoroughly under cold running water, dry them with paper towels, and set them aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch. Then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Once the chicken has marinated, in a wok heat the peanut oil on medium high. Keep in mind that we don’t want the oil so hot that the meat sizzles. If the oil is too hot it will overcook the meat and make it tough.
- Once the oil is heated, add the meat and lightly stir with either a fork or chopsticks for just 30 seconds to a minute, or until cooked through. Then remove it with a slotted spoon and place the chicken pieces on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Remove all of the oil from the wok and wipe it out with a paper towel. Then return it to the high heat and add the stir fry oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the snow peas and stir fry them for 2 minutes.
- Then add the sauce and bring it to a boil. Once it starts to come to a boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, return the chicken to the wok and stir until everything is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Serve immediately with either white or fried rice. Makes 2 to 3 servings.