The base for this delicious ice cream, which needs to be chilled before freezing, can be made the night before, but if in a hurry, it can be put in the freezer for 15-20 minutes which will chill it quickly. Toast the almonds first so that they are cool before adding to the ice cream.
Automatic ice cream makers are quite inexpensive, and are a must-have time saving appliance for ice cream, gelato, frozen yogurt, and sorbet lovers. They require no ice or salt, since the cylinder is frozen; it is simply kept in the freezer until a strong craving for ice cream arises – 20 minutes later, voila!
1 cup milk
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup whole almonds, toasted in a 350° oven for 8 – 10 minutes
- Heat the milk in the microwave until almost boiling.
- Add the baking chocolate and instant coffee to the hot milk; let the mixture sit 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and salt.
- Stir in the whipping cream and almond extract.
- Place in the refrigerator until well-chilled, about an hour, or in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the automatic ice cream maker and freeze until it begins to thicken.
- Add the almonds and continue freezing until set.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 445 Calories from Fat 271
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 61% Protein 7% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
Sodium 335 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 10%