Just a note on mustard: French-made Dijon mustard is much stronger than American-made Dijon mustard – in fact, there’s really no comparison; American-made Dijon mustard is for wimps and is not suitable for use in this recipe. To capture the real flavor of French Vinaigrette that dresses this salad, it’s important to use mustard that has been made in France. Read the labels in the grocery store and be prepared to pay a little more for real French-made mustard – it’s well worth it. If planning a trip to France, be sure to bring back several jars; it’s inexpensive and fabulous.
While great on its own, crumbled blue cheese and sliced sirloin steak from the Italian London Broil Module can be added to make a fabulous, quick dinner salad (make a double batch of the vinaigrette dressing to drizzle on the meat). This delicious potato salad is also an essential component in Classic Salad Niçoise , another main dish salad that can be put together quickly and will be popular with everyone; since it’s a composed salad, Salad Niçoise can be arranged on a large platter and will be striking as part of a buffet.
3 pounds potatoes, pared, or substitute small red potatoes – no need to peel
Boiling salted water
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 clove garlic, (large)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, preferably made in France
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and add salt.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain well; slice in 1/8" slices and place in a bowl (you’ll have about 8 cups).
- Pour the chicken broth over the warm potatoes; toss to coat.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- When the potatoes are cool, add parsley, and chives.
- Toss with the vinaigrette, cover, and refrigerate until serving time.
- Just before serving, add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Dressing: Place all ingredients in the food processor or blender; blend until smooth and well-mixed.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 333 Calories from Fat 142
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 43% Protein 5% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 199 mg
Total Carbohydrate 42 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 45% Calcium 0% Iron 14%