To watch a video for these instructions click here
2 broccoli crowns
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 green onion
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp peanut oil
½ cup chicken broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
- Rinse the broccoli under cold running water. Then cut off the florets of each broccoli crown and either discard the stalks or save them for a future recipe. Break any large florets into smaller pieces. Place these pieces in a microwave safe bowl.
- Then cover the broccoli with hot water and microwave it on high for about 6 to 10 minutes or until just crisp - tender. This is comparable to parboiling them. Once they are done, drain them in a colander and set them aside.
- Using the side of a knife, carefully smash each clove of garlic. Then peel them and mince them into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it thoroughly with a paper towel. Then cut off the base and about an inch from the top of the greens and discard. Cut the remaining stalk into thin slices and set these slices aside.
- In a cup, mix together the ingredients for the sauce and then set it aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and then set it aside.
- Next, heat a non stick wok or pot on high. Once hot, add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and onion and stir fry them for about 30 seconds to a minute, or until they become lightly brown and fragrant.
- Then add in the broccoli and stir fry for one more minute.
- Add the sauce. Let it come to a boil.
- Once it starts to come to a boil, add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick. Stir to coat everything evenly with the sauce and then remove it from the heat.
- This makes about 2 to 3 servings.