To watch a video for these instructions click here
4oz chow mein noodles (vermicelli noodles)
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 green onion
¼ head of cabbage (Napa or green cabbage)
1small stalk of celery
1 small carrot
¼ cups canned bean sprouts
3 tbsp peanut oil
½ cup chicken broth
½ tbsp soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp crushed red pepper
½ tbsp cornstarch
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once it boils add the noodles and let them cook for about 6 to 7 minutes, or until “al dente.”
- Then drain them thoroughly in a colander and stir in the olive oil and the garlic salt. Set these noodles aside while preparing the vegetables.
- Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it thoroughly with a paper towel. Then cut off the base and about an inch from the top of the green part and discard. Cut the remaining stalk into thin slices and set them aside.
- Peel off the outer leaves of the cabbage and discard. Rinse the cabbage under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Cut the ¼ of a head into thin shreds and set them aside. This should equal about 1 and ½ cups shredded.
- Rinse the celery under cold running water and dry it thoroughly. Cut off both of the ends and discard. Then cut the remaining stalk into long thin slices about 1 inch to 1 ½ inches long.
- Peel the carrots and cut off both of the ends and discard. Then cut it into long thin strips about 1 inch to 1 ½ inches long and set them aside.
- Drain the bean sprouts thoroughly.
- Next, in a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch.
- Then in a smaller cup, mix the cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Next, heat a non stick wok or pot on high and add just 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the green onions, celery, carrots, and bean sprouts. Stir fry these vegetables for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly soft.
- Once soft, remove them from the wok and set them aside.
- Add another tablespoon of peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Once hot, add the cabbage and stir fry until it wilts and is soft, about 3 minutes. Then remove it from the wok and set it aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Add the noodles and stir fry for just 30 seconds. Then add the sauce and stir another 30 seconds.
- Return all of the vegetables to the wok and stir until everything is mixed together and the sauce begins to come to a boil. Just as it comes to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. Makes 2 generous servings.