Frozen green beans are a great timesaver, but if the garden has fresh green beans, they will taste even better in this salad. It will be a little more work to cut the ends off, and take a little more time for them to cook, but using garden produce is cheaper and the taste is divine. Home grown tomatoes are sweeter, and have a taste that can’t be duplicated in store-bought produce; use them if they’re available.
1 pound frozen petite green beans
boiling salted water
1/4 cup red onions, finely chopped
6 radishes, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the green beans in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- Immediately drain them in a colander in the sink; run cold water over to chill.
- Transfer the beans to a large serving bowl.
- Stir in the onions, radishes, cilantro and oregano.
- Toss with the feta cheese, grape tomatoes, and dressing.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour or up to 8 hours before serving.
- Dressing: Whisk all ingredients together, or whizz in the blender
Amount Per Serving
Calories 251 Calories from Fat 201
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 80% Protein 7% Carb. 12%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 17 mg
Sodium 604 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 28% Calcium 0% Iron 8%