Thai Grilled Chicken is a little spicy, and goes well with Vietnamese Coleslaw, a refreshing, colorful salad, and 3-Ingredient Coconut Spinach Rice, which is generally baked in the oven, but can be done in the slow cooker or rice cooker so as not to heat up the kitchen. Other alternatives are grilled vegetables such as zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, and/or pre-cooked potatoes brushed with the marinade from the chicken.
3 pounds chicken pieces (with bones), or 8 small boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 bunch cilantro, washed thoroughly; stems removed
2 jalapeno peppers, cut in half; core and stem removed
4 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons palm sugar, or brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste
1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Clean the chicken pieces and place in a large Ziploc-type bag.
- Place the remaining ingredient in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces.
- Close the bag and massage the contents until the marinade is evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate the chicken for at least eight hours or up to three days, massaging the marinade occasionally.
- To grill: Heat the grill to highest heat.
- Turn off one side of the grill and place the chicken on it.
- Close the lid and let cook until the chicken is done, turning once. Bone-in breasts will take 20-30 minutes, thighs and legs will take longer. Boneless, skinless breasts will take only 10-15 minutes. Use an instant read thermometer - Breasts should be 170°, and thighs and legs 180°.
- Alternately, grill the chicken pieces on high heat directly on the heat; brown the pieces, then transfer them to the slow cooker and let cook on low with the lid slightly tilted to evaporate the moisture, for 2-3 hours.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 308 Calories from Fat 195
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 63% Protein 31% Carb. 6%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 84 mg
Sodium 463 mg
Total Carbohydrate 4 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 24 g
Vitamin A 28% Vitamin C 48% Calcium 0% Iron 17%