To watch a video for these instructions click here
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 small carrots
2 small stalks of celery
2 green onions
1 tbsp peanut oil
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp oil
¾ cup chicken broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
1½ tbsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then slice each breast into thin slices about 1 inch to 1½ inches in length. Place these slices into a medium sized bowl.
- Add all of the ingredients for the marinade and then using your hand mix everything in thoroughly. Let the chicken marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the chicken marinates prepare the other ingredients. Peel the carrots and slice them on a diagonal into thin slices and set them aside.
- Rinse the celery stalks under cold running water and dry them thoroughly with paper towles. Cut off the very tops and the white bottoms of each stalk and discard. Then cut the remaining stalks on a diagonal into thin slices and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them thoroughly with paper towels. Cut off their bases and about an inch from the top of the greens and discard. Then cut the remaining onion stalks into tiny pieces and set them aside with the other vegetables.
- In a large cup mix together all of the sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch.
- Then in a small cup mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves.
- Next, cook the chicken by boiling it. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- When the water boils add the chicken and let it cook for 30 seconds to a minute or just until it turns opaque in color. Then using a slotted spoon remove it from the water draining it thoroughly, and set it aside.
- Next, heat a wok on high. Once it’s hot add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the carrots, onions, and celery and stir fry them for 3 minutes.
- Then add the chicken and stir fry everything for another minute, or until the carrots are crisp – tender.
- Add the sauce and let it come to a boil.
- Once it starts to come to a boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens. Then remove it from the heat and serve. This is best served over steamed white rice. Makes 3 servings.