To watch a video for these instructions click here
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
5 green onions
1 clove garlic
½ tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp peanut oil
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp stir fry oil
¾ cup hot water
3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp hot chili oil
1 tsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then slice each breast into large thin slices.
- Place these slices in a bowl and add the marinade in the following order. First add the garlic salt, sherry and egg white. Use your hand to mix these ingredients in thoroughly. Then add the cornstarch and again mix it in with your hand. Add the oil, stir it in thoroughly, and let the chicken marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them thoroughly. Cut off their bases and about an inch from the top of the greens and discard. Cut the remaining stalks into long thin strips 1½ to 2 inches in length and set them aside.
- Using the side of a knife, firming smash the garlic. Then remove the peel and mince it into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- In a large cup combine all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch. Stir this mixture thoroughly.
- In a small cup mix the cornstarch with a little water, just until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Once the chicken marinates bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- When the water boils add the chicken and let it cook for 30 seconds to a minute or just until it turns opaque in color. Then using a slotted spoon remove it from the water draining it thoroughly, and set it aside.
- Next, heat a wok on high. Once it’s hot add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the green onion and crushed red pepper and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Then add the garlic and stir fry everything for another 30 seconds.
- Next, add the chicken and the sauce, and let the sauce come to a boil.
- As the sauce starts to come to a boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce becomes thick.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. This is perfect served with white steamed rice and stir fried green beans. Makes 3 servings.