Not only is this recipe easy, it is cooked in the versatile slow cooker with no supervision, and can be made a few days ahead of the BOO-ffet. Any leftover sauce is great with breadsticks. Check out the Halloween Recipes on this site for great ideas for salads, side dishes, beverages, and desserts to complete the Halloween BOO-ffet menu.
3 pounds hot dogs, preferably big dogs, or bun-size polish sausages
4 jalapeno peppers
6 fresh tomatoes, or 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups catsup
- Place the hot dogs in a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Cut the core off of the jalapeno peppers; transfer them to a food processor or blender.
- Cut the core from the tomatoes and add them to the jalapenos.
- Peel the onion, quarter it, and add it to the jalapeno mixture.
- Peel the garlic cloves and add to the other vegetables.
- Process the vegetables until everything is chopped finely and smooth; pour the mixture over the hot dogs.
- Mix the tomato sauce, brown sugar, and catsup; pour over the vegetable mixture.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn to the high setting, tilt the lid slightly, and let cook 3-5 hours or until the Halloween guests arrive.
- Serve the Hallo"weenies" on freshly baked buns.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 430 Calories from Fat 278
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 14% Carb. 22%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 31 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 65 mg
Sodium 1693 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 52% Vitamin C 145% Calcium 0% Iron 14%