This recipe uses canned longans which have a white sweet juicy texture and are similar to lychees. These are widely available in canned form. Both canned longans and canned lychees can usually be found in most Asian markets. If you can find fresh longans or fresh lychees feel free to use these in place of the canned longans. You can also add in any different fruits that you may like as well. Try this delicious Chinese fruit salad recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
1 small honey dew melon
1 can longans
1 large bunch of seedless grapes
2 to 3 mandarin oranges
- Cut the honey dew in half and scoop out all of the seeds from the center of each half and discard.
- Then using a melon baller, scoop out as much of flesh of the melon as possible forming complete balls. Place these balls in a large bowl and pour out any juice that may have accumulated in the bottom of the melon half. You can keep this juice in a container for a future recipe.
- Next, use a spoon and scoop out all of the remaining flesh from each melon half so that the inside of each one is completely empty and smooth. Place the melon pulp in another container and save it for a future recipe. Now you have 2 melon bowls.
- Next, using a sharp knife, cut triangles all around the top edge of the melon halves so that you have a pointy edged pattern all the way around the top of each melon bowl.
- Open and drain the longans thoroughly.
- Pick the grapes off of the stems discarding any badly bruised ones.
- Peel the oranges and peel them into sections and set them aside.
- Now itís time to fill the melon. In a very large mixing bowl gently mix together the melon balls, longans, grapes and oranges.
- Then fill the two halves of the melon and serve. Place any of the extra fruit into the refrigerator and refill the bowls as necessary.