None of the official Hancock tasters could guess what this casserole was made of, but all of them loved it. The potatoes are actually a bag of flavored potato chips, and favorites such as cheddar and jalapeno, sour cream and onion, or sour cream and cheddar can be used to vary the flavor of the dish. Canned soup mixed with milk, cheese, and ham forms the sauce which moistens the chips and turns them into what tastes like regular sliced potatoes.
If you’re in a hurry, this is a perfect casserole to try.
1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes, or 1/2 cup chopped fresh onion
8 ounces lean ham, diced
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
1 8 oz. package flavored potato chips, such as cheddar & bacon, sour cream & onion, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 2 quart (9 x 9 or thereabouts) shallow casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together the soups, milk, onion flakes, and ham until well-mixed.
- Add 1 cup of the cheese.
- Pour 1/3 of the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Smash the chips a little and pour half of them over the soup mixture in the baking dish.
- Spread another 1/3 of the soup mixture over the chips.
- Top with the remaining chips, then the remaining soup mixture.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the reserved cheese, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 514 Calories from Fat 311
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 60% Protein 15% Carb. 24%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 35 g
Saturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 63 mg
Sodium 1563 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 20 g
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 39% Calcium 0% Iron 9%