This galette can be made early in the day, since it’s good either warm or at room temperature. And while it’s good just as it is, a scoop of very high-quality or homemade ice cream will transport it to ethereal heights.
1 1/3 cups Basic Pie Crust Mix
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
1 beaten egg
1 1/2 pounds purple plums
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or spray with non-stick spray.
- Mix the pie crust mix with ice water to make a soft, but not sticky dough, being careful to work the dough as little as possible.
- Form the dough into a ball and roll out to a circle 1/4" thick and 11" in diameter on a lightly floured pastry cloth.
- Transfer the round to the baking sheet; brush the outside 3" with the beaten egg.
- Halve the plums, remove the pits, and slice into 1/4" slices.
- Place them in a bowl with the brown sugar and toss.
- Pour the plum mixture into the center of the crust.
- Make 2" slits about every 5 inches around the perimeter of the crust.
- Fold the edges of the crust over the plums.
- Streusel topping: Mix all ingredients, cutting in the butter until it is the size of small peas; sprinkle evenly over the galette.
- Bake 20 minutes; reduce the temperature to 350° and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm either plain, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 307 Calories from Fat 149
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 6% Carb. 46%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 247 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 0% Iron 3%