Breakfast sausages are easy to cook and slice, but if in a really big hurry, brown and serve sausages can be substituted. In fact, diced ham, which needs no prep other than cutting, is also great in this casserole, as well as the crisp, crumbled bacon that comes in a bag. For those who like a little spice in their food, hot breakfast sausage or even chorizo (not the cured kind – the Mexican kind that has a lot of fat; drain it in a fine strainer before adding to the cornbread mixture) work really well in this easy dish.
Sausage & Cornbread Breakfast Bake is great for a weekend breakfast, too. Fresh fruit or a cooked fruit compote are good accompaniments, and even though the casserole contains lots of egg, scrambled or fried eggs are also good on the side.
8 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 cups grated cheddar jack cheese
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
1 pound breakfast sausages, cooked and sliced in 1/2" slices
1 6 oz. package cornbread stuffing mix
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray an 11 x 7" casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, hot pepper sauce, dried red pepper flakes, and green chilies until well-mixed; stir in the cheese, sausages, and cornbread mix.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and bake an additional 10 minutes until browned.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 418 Calories from Fat 247
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 59% Protein 23% Carb. 18%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 276 mg
Sodium 1109 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 17 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 24 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 8%